Keralan Fish Stew
For the fish:
4 large fillets of seabass
For the sauce:
1 ½ tbsps coconut oil
¼ tsp black mustard seeds
1 medium onion finely chopped
15 curry leaves
3 sun dried chillis
1 inch chopped ginger
10 okra, topped & tailed
8 indian aubergines
¼ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp salt
400 ml coconut milk
100 ml water
1 small raw mango, finely diced
3 tbsps tamarind
Squeeze of lime
1. Deep fry the aubergines for 2 minutes, add the okra for 30 seconds and set aside
2. Heat coconut oil in heavy based pan, add the mustard seeds and allow to pop
3. Add dried chillis, curry leaves, ginger and onion
4. Sprinkle with salt and allow the onions to soften and brown slightly
5. Add ground turmeric and chilli followed by a drop of water and cook out
6. Add raw mango, coconut milk and boil for one minute
7. Bring down to a fast simmer and add tamarind
8. Simmer for further 10 minutes then add the aubergine and okra. Simmer for further 5 minutes and set aside.
9. Add lime juice and adjust seasoning
10. Rub the seabass fillets with a sprinkling of turmeric and chilli powder, and dust with rice flour. Season with salt and pan fry in mustard oil.
11. Dry on kitchen towel and rest in sauce.
12. Serve with rice.